Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Self-love









For as long as I can remember, I have struggled with self-love. My ability to love others is endless, but when I draw for the love for myself, I come up short. I'm not saying I'm a saint. I'm sure I'm selfish, rotten, bratty, and snobbish at times. But loving my soul, my faults, my body, my most inward thoughts took a long time.


I grew up insecure, struggling with loving my pondering ways, pensive thoughts, outward body since I was very young. The only cure for this is time, gentle journeys.


As a follower of Jesus, I struggled to see what was special about me, why anyone would sacrifice themselves for me? I'm sure I'm not worth it.As time has given me wisdom, I see the foolishness in not loving myself, in not seeing the uniqueness of myself was just as sacred as others around me.



I feel like this deficiency in loving self affects more than just myself. If we focused on loving ourselves truly, would we have more love to give to others? Rather than indulging in selfish ways to give us a false sense of self-worth, accepting ourselves and others. In brief glimpses, I see myself as how God may see me, beloved. I fall short daily and come down on myself for my shortcomings, but I know what spaces need work and tending and have accepted and love my good and my bad. I know not everyone shares my beliefs, but I'm sure we can all agree everyone can use more love. More inwardly love and more outwardly love.


It is important as a mother to know this love, as I'm raising the next generation of little women, capable of great love. Aspects of each individual makes each one lovely.

I am now into my late 20's and love myself wholly. I love who I am as a person, as a wife, and a mother to two beautiful girls. It took time to get here, but I'm thankful for that journey. Doing good things for myself helps me love my outward body. Good, real food, gentle thoughts, no comparing to anyone else. I have always bounced back and forth between dance and pilates, never really committing, but always staying active.


I am ready to move onto my next journey and incorporate exercise that loves my body and mind. 

I've committed to practice yoga for 30 days, on good days and bad, taking time to leave space to exercise and feel energized. I feel like this is the best choice of exercise for me, I have been wanting to make it second nature for some time now, and there is no better time to start than now.


Self-love is the meaning for this valentine's day for me. Will you join me?


I'm sharing this journey with these other lovely women - Laura, Elisabeth, Bekah, and Mandy, and whomever chooses to join us!

There are no rules, only goals.










Write about your goals and link-up here or at any of those lovely ladies' blogs. For a little encouragement, here is the video that helped me make my commitment.







And a calendar to keep you on track.



Photobucket







At the end my yoga commitment, I will write about my journey, how it has made me feel, what I've learned and what I'd like to continue. Feel free to chronicle your own journey.





23 comments:

  1. You are a beautiful, beautiful person inside and out! So happy to be apart of this journey with you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too Mandy! You have been a great inspiration being able to blend your spirituality with yoga, I love your approach to it!

      Delete
  2. I'm joining you with the hooping and pilates. The days that I get to it I feel so much more centered and I need that. I need to take that time out during this phase in my life. When I'm hooping, I feel so meditative. I love yoga but hooping is definitely my centering time. <3 you Betsy. I can't wait to go on this journey with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know exactly what you mean. I did some yoga for a few days and it felt so great, that's why I thought, if I can do this everyday, how much better would I feel? I'm excited for this journey as well, <3 you.

      Delete
  3. Love this post & the concept/act of self love. This line, in particular, spoke to me, as I have one little girl & am expecting another: "it is important as a mother to know this love, as I'm raising the next generation of little women, capable of great love." Thank you so much for sharing. Helps remind me to be more mindful as a mother in regards to self love & care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Julie! Yes, I have to teach and reteach myself that I am my girls most influential figure, especially on being a woman. Thank you for reading!

      Delete
  4. Elisabeth just emailed me about this - joining in with yoga/hooping. this is something i've been meaning to do for a while - excited to link up with you all x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad Polly! I have been meaning to do it for a while too. So glad you're joining up my friend!

      Delete
  5. This is a beautiful idea Betsy, and I have been needing a little push in the right direction. I am now 16weeks pregnant, and have never been a fan of much exercise, yet I know how good I feel after it. I love yoga, and recently bought myself a prenatal yoga dvd (committing myself to a weekly class became too difficult with a husband who works shift work). so I will aim to do this video daily for 30 days and see how I go. Thank you xx
    Rhi xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you're joining. I don't like conventional exercise either, especially being busy with little ones. I have found even learning a few poses, if I don't have time for a video, I can do it on my own to some good music. Can't wait to share the journey.

      Delete
  6. I'll be joining in with yoga - something I've wanted to get back into for a long time. Thank you for letting me a part of this. I'm so excited.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for joining Karrina! So glad to have you be a part and share. I took some time to peruse your blog... your pictures are beautiful and you are living the life I am aiming for... a homestead out west <3

      Delete
  7. I'm joining with yoga and so excited for the motivation! this couldn't have come at a better time. i need a mental boost and for me yoga has always been so powerful at that. along with the mental boost comes with feeling so much stronger - i can't wait for that benefit as well. thanks for the inspiration :)

    jen - southjenni.blogspot

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know exactly what you mean! I need something to nourish my mind AND body - which I feel like yoga definitely does! Thanks for joining in!

      Delete
  8. inspired..! count me in :) btw, how do i add the inlinkz gadget onto my blog post? jw. sorry, new at this.

    dorothy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for joining Dororthy! I see you got the link figured out ;) Thanks for sharing!

      Delete
  9. I got here via Violet Bella and have to say that I love your blog and am excited to take part in this challenge! It's been a bit stressful new year and I'm excited to take some time for me!
    I'll be joining in with yoga and cycling at least 20 minutes a day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great! I'm glad to see people making it their own! I definitely didn't want any rules, just some inspiration and encouragement! I know I need it myself :)

      Delete
  10. LOVE! And how was I not already following this blog of yours!?!
    :) Jamie

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your focus on loving yourself and how as a mother you can help your little ones to be even better if you're also on the right track. I work with little kids and also teenagers and I truly believe that we can help others that much more if we take care of ourselves first. Beautiful message and idea! So glad to be on this little journey with you and everyone else who joins in!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! So glad you joined in! It's encouraging to see other women joining in and getting encouragement! I love your blog <3

      Delete
  12. This journey sounds amazing and I am really excited to be a part of it.

    ReplyDelete